Vegan and wheat free with no processed sugar. This chocolate requires a blender to make, but is super easy and stores for ages in the freezer.
1 ½ cup pitted dates
1 cup melted coconut oil
1 cup cocoa
1 cup raw unsalted cashews
½ cup sultanas (optional)
¼ cup shredded coconut (optional)
- Put the dates in a bowl and cover them with boiling water for 20 minutes. This softens them to make the fudge smoother.
- Place the cashews in the food processor and turn it on for as long as it takes to form into a buttery ball. It is very loud for the first 30 seconds or so. This process usually takes 7-10 minutes and you will need to scrape down the sides a few times. Alternatively, you can buy cashew nut butter from the shop. You can use almonds instead if you like, but this is much louder and takes longer to turn into butter.
- Drain the dates and transfer them into the food processor (I usually check each one to make sure there are no sneaky pips). Add melted coconut oil, cocoa and ¼ of the cashew nut butter and process the crap out of it (3-5 minutes), until it is a smooth consistency/silky.
- Transfer mix into a bowl and add sultanas and shredded coconut and mix well.
- Add the remainder of the cashew nut butter and lightly mix through (don’t mix it so much that it turns the same colour as the rest of it – the idea is to have a mottled effect from the cashew nut butter).
- Line a tray with baking paper and drop in the mixture and spread it out to the desired height (about 3-4cm) and smooth off the top.
- Store in the fridge overnight or the freezer for 2-3 hours to set.
- Cut into little cubes and store chilled. I keep mine in the freezer.